The English Court - AA

The English Court - AA

Monday 17 November 2014

Exams...In the long term?


What is this about?
Since the exam period (for me at least) is now over, a question nagged me for a while. What is the point of these exams? Well, I think I have an answer for that, what I wanted to look at is viewing at what this short period of exams would mean in the longer run.

The lead up to the Period
I always find there is this air of tension around when one is going around their daily business. Always in the mind about the exams and what to do for it. This is where I find exams to be useful, not this air of tension and high competitiveness between people but the actual lead up to the exams. The studying, the prioritising, the notes - what do they do? If the content doesn't stick with you, then what does?

Handling the pressure - whether it is there or not, this stage is critical in growing up in adding to one's opinion. A valuable skill is adding to the experience of learning - patience. The counter to stress, on a mental note I believe, is patience. Patience is a valuable part of one's life, it teaches one how far they can go on their tether, it gives one understanding and it also gives one the feeling of content when in doubt (I hope...)

The Examination
I often find that the purpose of the exam is to test how well one is able to engage with the content . I often forget this purpose because the only raison de'tre I seem to hold for tests is...the marks. I am not saying marks are bad, marks are needed for the reflection of the content tested, the problem is the whole competitiveness and pressure than can really affect and push someone. It might not, but there are times where it may weigh one down. This in itself is another test and what does one do? Be patient!

The Aftermath
This is the part where I can grill this long-term idea of exams. Where do exams sit in the long term. My answer is two part. The first part is, you know the content and the content will help you in whatever endeavour there is. The second part is that it doesn't. That is also a two part answer.

Let's look at exams in the long run. These marks don't really mean anything after your schooling life, although a friend of mine says that if you can save it up one day to show off to friends in a conversation like: "Yeah? What have you achieved?" To answer with "Full marks in all my tests!". Of course, I don't get full marks in tests - but I know a guy who invariably does or gets close!

I hold the opinion that these grades, marks and most of the content holds no real value as you get older (well...most of the content translates into skills but). The whole marks issue and this stress only adds unnecessary pressure on kids but that's your point of view. No, this short term period only is a means of measure. What really matters in this short term, is what you make of what you do.

This means that what you decide to do and how you react are all what matters. The consequences of what you choose will manifest into change into the outlook on one's life. Or, a new skill may be learnt. But what I urge you to remember during all of this is patience. Key lesson here. : )

There is also an argument that testing is a reflection of how well you are versed in your particular work. I agree with this - partly. The problem here is that one examination cannot and is not a true wholistic reflection of the potential and level of ability one holds. I am all for testing but I do not believe for a final grade or comment be based on testing. There are numerous considerations to be taken including class work, class participation, book work, homework etc. This may be (and hopefully) already happening in schools but this zeitgeist that is currently present still is gripping students.

What did that have to do with the long term purpose of this article? That this short period of exams and marking is important - for a time. However, in the longer run of things, if you do not get past all those criterion in place through you reflecting on yourself then one sinks a little. You'll naturally get up again but this is where reflection helps. It drives towards change and change can be good or bad. Change is affected by how you reflect and change affects how one progresses as one matures.

Summation
So, what is the best way to have these exams useful in the long term? Simple:
1. Learn to have patience
2. Reflection
3. Change

That is everything condensed down. Please remember that this is all my own opinion and that I am open to you posting comments. Thanks for reading. Next article? A hint: "Playing Well". It may not be accurate, I can tell you that!
This is just A Small Point of View.
Thanks. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment